We have been so looking forward to seeing your brother again. Ich bin davon überzeugt, daß du und ich für einander bestimmt sind. When asking questions in which a preposition is used, but the object is an object, not a person, German makes a so-called "wo-compound" which is formed by combining wo and the appropriate prepositions. What in the world are "anticipatory da-compounds"? You can also use a signal word of your mother tongue, if the beginning of the word sounds similar to the preposition that you want to learn. The problem: When prepositions are used as a part of fixed phrases (as with the German verbs with prepositions) then they often lose their original meaning. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. Who are you afraid of? If pressed, your best guess is accusative; that will be right the majority of times. In my FREE Video-Course "German Grammar for your Brain". If there is little in the way of predictability within one language, there is even less when going from one language to another. The most common exceptions to this rule of thumb are prepositional adjectives with “vor,” which are usually followed by nouns and pronouns in the dative, and “interessiert an,” which is also followed by the dative. Ready to learn 42 - 62 4. verbs that are typically used in certain prepositions, like “wait for” or “Talk about” in English. I’m ready for anything (emphasis on “anything”). ), schoss, hat geschossen, sterben an (dat. Im waiting for you to finally tell me the truth. Fritz is against you moving into the commune. Ich weiss nichts von Einsteins Relativitätstheorie. Fritz, I don't think much of him. I’m crazy for you (emphasis on “verrückt,” i.e. Denken an is used if one is thinking of someone/something in the sense of having thoughts about it in one’s head without necessarily thinking deeply or reflecting about it; denken über, denken von and halten von are used to ask people’s opinions (what they think of something), and nachdenken über is used if one is thinking about something more deeply, e.g. Here is an example for a specific German verb with preposition, in this case the verb „warten auf“ (to wait for): Uh! Introduction. In both languages there are certain verbs which by convention more than by logic are used with a given preposition. If there is little in the way of predictability within one language, there is even less when going from one language to another. Vor wem hast du Angst? Most German prepositional verbs are also prepositional verbs in English, but the prepositions used with the verbs are not always analogous. Ready to learn 81-100 About Us Team Jobs. for students and teachers! What are you waiting for? As you can see, these example sentences contain special mnemonic key-words, which will help you to remember the corresponding preposition. They are less abstract than the prepositions. Glad you asked. QUICK CHECK: Verb-preposition combinations, Fragen 1: Complete with the right form of the definite article. Note that the word order depends on whether you want to emphasize the adjective or the noun: Dictionary Links And I don’t mean cases. Ich freue mich über das schöne Wetter heute. Sich Sorgen machen um is much more common than sich sorgen um, which sounds rather formal. The most common exceptions to this rule of thumb are prepositional verbs with “vor,” which are usually followed by nouns and pronouns in the dative, and “arbeiten an,” which is also followed by the dative. Duden Wörterbuch, General Links They work like this... Ich warte darauf, daß du mir endlich die Wahrheit sagst. ), du stirbst, starb, ist gestorben, etwas verstehen von, verstand, hat verstanden, to know something about (in the sense of understanding and/or practical ability), etwas wissen von, du weißt, wusste, hat gewusst, This would mean the students are concerned, ready, prepared, or willing to (do something), in suspense about; anxiously/excitedly awaiting. I’m interested in going out to eat with you. ), hatte, hat gehabt, to keep an eye on, look out for (kids, food on stoves…), to think of (as in: I’m thinking of you right now. Canoo Wörterbücher und Grammatik, Usage Resources When prepositions are used as a part of fixed phrases (as with the German verbs with prepositions) then they often lose their original meaning. Ich halte nicht viel von ihm. Fritz? a German family, German Grammar Worksheets Basically, when learning German verbs with prepositions, you have to learn which preposition each individual verb uses. You already learned how to use mnemonic example sentences when studying the. German Punk music? When learning new verb-prepositions, make sure you learn the preposition along with the verb and, if it is a "two-way" preposition (dative or accusative), which case is used. If the reference is to an object, a "da-compound" must be used. What are you thinking about? Ich bin daran interessiert, mit dir essen zu gehen. Nach is usually used if one is searching for something more abstract. They help you to understand the meaning of the verbs in a context. I’m crazy for you (emphasis on “you,” i.e. No, I don’t mean gender. You will be able to learn this and many, many more issues of German grammar, more easily with the new reference work for German as a foreign language. Below are some usage examples. The connection verb + preposition is very hard to learn. Ich ärgere mich oft über meinen kleinen Bruder. ), to think of (as in: what do you think of X? Wir haben uns so darauf gefreut, deinen Bruder wieder zu sehen. Thus “wait FOR” is “warten AUF” (not “. Die Studenten machen sich Sorgen um das Examen. in order to formulate an opinion or make a decision. I don't think much of it. Note that the construction in German is quite different from English, as is clear from the following exaamples... Fritz ist dagegen, daß du zu uns in die Wohngemeinschaft kommst. Why? We say, for example, "on the road" but "in the street." Now you might be like “Wait, we already talked about prefixes? We're waiting for your brother. At the third semester level at the University of Michigan, we will expect you to be aware of this concept, but will not expect you to have memorized the list of prepositional adjectives given below. Wir warten auf deinen Bruder. The last big thing to learn about prepositions is their relationship with verbs. Wikipedia – Deutsch So start working with the list linked in the sidebar (see also the next page of this tutorial), learning both the preposition and the case used for each verb. Die Sommerferien? Learn German with Linguee online dictionary Woran denkst du? Verb-Preposition CombinationsVCU German Tutorial Series. Note that we are using a verb "warten,"  which is used with a preposition (auf), but the object of the preposition is neither a person nor an object, but a clause (for you to tell me the truth). Präpositionen mit Akkusativ oder mit Dativ. Worauf wartest du? !” but that’s not what I mean. The concept of using mnemonic example sentences in order to learn German verbs with prepositions is convincing! In this non-literal use of two-way prepositions, the rule of motion (=accusative) versus non-motion (=dative) does not apply. There are many of these verb-preposition combinations in German (sorry). Note the following quite different constructions: Wovor hast du Angst? As is the case with prepositional verbs. Most German prepositional verbs are also prepositional verbs in English, but the prepositions used with the verbs are not always analogous. Certain adjectives are also commonly used with prepositions. The whole verb-phrase (verb + preposition) then receives a new meaning. What are you afraid of? Ich freue micht darauf. Basically, when learning German verbs with prepositions, you have to learn which preposition each individual verb uses. Note that if the preposition begins with a vowel, an "r" is added. ), schießen auf (acc. The trick is that normally these signal words are nouns, which are easy for you to picture. Verb-Preposition Combinations VCU German Tutorial Series. DWDS Wortinformation German Department. In wen hat sich Fritz verliebt? As with wo-compounds, an "r" is added when necessary. 1. Many German verbs are even connected with a specific preposition, these verbs are called „verbs with prepositions“. And it turns out, verbs and prepositions tend to get kind of cozy with one another. Welcome to Memrise! for students and teachers, © 2008 - 2016 by Peter Heinrich, easyDaF.de, At the point I’ve marked, you find the information that the verb „warten“ takes the preposition. For two-way prepositions, this means the preposition no longer indicates motion or location, and so again you need to learn which case to use for each individual adjective + preposition combination. The best solution of course is to learn the case along with the verb. We say, for example, "on the road" but "in the street." In this non-literal use of two-way prepositions, the rule of motion (=accusative) versus non-motion (=dative) does not apply. On this page you will find a list of common prepositional verbs, i.e. German Verbs That Take Prepositions. Summer vacation? When learning new verb-prepositions, make sure you learn the preposition along with the verb and, if it is a "two-way" preposition (dative or accusative), which case is used. Erzähl uns bitte von deiner Resie nach Österreich. Die Liste der (reflexiven) Verben mit Präpositional-Ergänzungen wird zum kostenlosen Downloaden angeboten. dict.cc online dictionary I’m used to disappointments (emphasis on “disappointments”). And because there are so many prepositions, it will be even harder for you to learn than the noun + article connections! Them mnemonic key-words always begin with a syllable which is identical with the preposition, that you have to learn. PONS Online Dictionary The person being answered (if specified) will be in the dative, since antworten is a dative verb. Ich halte nicht viel davon. Similarly, when two-way prepositions are used in combination with certain adjectives, they no longer indicate motion or location, and so again you need to learn which case to use for each individual adjective + preposition combination. Note that in asking a question using a verb-preposition combination, the preposition must be included and can not be left dangling at the end of the sentence (unlike English).