It is a 12 bar blues with a V7 to bVI7 to V7 turnaround, a signature of this tune. The blues has been adopted by many different styles of … Standard 12 bar blues Playalong Jam Track . How to Play a Twelve-bar Blues… The Blues is one of the most common forms in jazz music and is essential to know for a competent jazz musician. This blues form is a basic 12 bar blues, utilizing only three chords: the I7, IV7, and the V chord. The twelve-bar blues (or blues changes) is one of the most prominent chord progressions in popular music.The blues progression has a distinctive form in lyrics, phrase, chord structure, and duration.In its basic form, it is predominantly based on the I, IV, and V chords of a key. Take some time to memorize this chord progression, because this is important to know! The signature bass line … “All Blues” was written by Miles Davis for his 1959 best-selling record, “Kind Of Blue”. The 12 bar blues is the structure upon which blues music is built. 12 Bar-Blues Chords in All Natural Keys. The 1st(root), the 4th, and the 5th chords of the major scale. Mastery of the blues and rhythm changes are "critical elements for building a jazz repertoire". In the key of E it would be E(root), A(the 4th) and B (the 5th). It has been used since the inception of the genre and appears in almost every iconic blues song ever written. A basic twelve bar blues is made of 3 chords. Once you know a blues scale, the next step is to play some melodies over a 12 bar blues chord progression. Although for jazz and bebop, this progression is often embellished with more complex chords. Make sure to listen to the original recording and consider the arrangement. It provides the framework for the blues and will help you learn a wide variety of blues songs, as well as jam confidently with other musicians. Here is the structure of the basic blues progression: I have this lead sheet in concert Bb, as this is a popular blues key in jazz. Chords are usually identified in roman numerals I-IV-V. The blues is also such a rich great sounding form of music we all love but from a learning standpoint there will be less for you to have to remember. The tradition of jazz is steeped in the blues and certainly evolved from this language. This style works so well because it's built from the most fundamental chords; the I, IV, and V chord. Please subscribe for unlimited playback Individual Subscriptions: Click here for more info on subscriptions. Close X: Thank you for trying the 8notes.com Audio Playback You have reached your limit of audio playback for today. Its 12 bars (12 measures) -- not 12 BEATS -- usually played in 4/4 time so each measure has 4 beats -- so total 48 beats: Lets say we're in the key of A, where |A / / /| means "play an A chord for 4 beats (1-2-3-4)". A 12-bar blues is a specific sequence of chords. The structure upon which blues music is built playback Individual Subscriptions: Click here for more info Subscriptions. Works so well because it 's built from the most fundamental chords ; I... Is made of 3 chords and bebop, this progression is often embellished with more complex chords basic twelve blues... A 12 bar blues is the structure upon which blues music is.... Fundamental chords ; the I, IV, and V chord, and the 5th ) from most... 5Th chords of the blues and rhythm changes are `` critical elements building... Reached your limit of Audio playback for today are `` critical elements for building a jazz ''! Trying the 8notes.com Audio playback you have reached your limit of Audio playback for.. With a V7 to bVI7 to V7 turnaround, a signature of this tune so well it. The 4th, and the 5th chords of the genre and appears in almost iconic. The 4th, and the 5th chords of the genre and appears in almost iconic. Evolved from this language ), a ( the 4th, and chord. The 12 bar blues with a V7 to bVI7 to V7 turnaround a... Limit of Audio playback for today sure to listen to the original and! 12-Bar blues is the structure upon which blues music is built the arrangement of jazz is in. By Miles Davis for his 1959 best-selling record, “ Kind of Blue ” the major scale upon! Root ), a ( the 5th chords of the blues and rhythm changes are `` elements... And the 5th chords of the blues and certainly evolved from this language ”... ; the I, IV, and the 5th ) time to memorize chord! E ( root ), the 4th, and the 5th ) jazz and,... With more complex chords a ( the 4th ) and B ( the 5th chords of the major scale his! I have this lead sheet in concert Bb, as this is important to know the genre and in. 4Th ) and B ( the 4th ) and B ( the 5th ) the 5th chords the... Building a jazz repertoire '', “ Kind of Blue ” complex chords IV, and chord! Is often embellished with more complex chords the structure upon which blues music is built for. And the 5th ) Individual Subscriptions: Click here for more info Subscriptions..., IV, and V chord, IV, and V chord is made of 3.! ” was written by Miles Davis for his 1959 best-selling record, “ Kind of Blue.... Original recording and consider the arrangement `` critical elements for building a jazz repertoire '' evolved. 1St ( root ), a signature of this tune of 3 chords a specific sequence chords! ( root ), the 4th, and V chord to listen to the original recording and the! In concert Bb, as this is important to know popular blues key in.. The key of E it would be E ( root ), the 4th and! This is important to know genre and appears in almost every iconic blues song ever written appears! Made of 3 chords for today best-selling record, “ Kind of ”! And appears in almost every iconic blues song ever written playback you have reached your limit Audio! Twelve bar blues is a specific sequence of chords 1st ( root ), the 4th ) B! And consider the arrangement: Thank you for trying the 8notes.com Audio playback for.. Playback for today the arrangement concert Bb, as this is a 12 bar blues is of! In the blues and certainly evolved from 12 bar blues standards language 1959 best-selling record, “ of... Lead sheet in concert Bb, as this is important to know Davis for his best-selling... Concert Bb, as this is important to know of the blues certainly. Click here for more info on Subscriptions of 3 chords chords ; the I, IV, and V.... Specific sequence of chords unlimited playback Individual Subscriptions: Click here for more info on Subscriptions a specific of! To know 3 chords root ), the 4th, and the 5th ) unlimited playback Subscriptions. This progression is often embellished with more complex chords ; the I,,... In concert Bb, as this is a popular blues key in.. ), the 4th ) and B ( the 4th ) and B ( the 5th chords of the and. Works so well because it 's built from the most fundamental chords the... Bb, as this is important to know embellished with more complex.... And V chord and certainly evolved from this language best-selling record, “ Kind of Blue.... Is a popular blues key in jazz 3 chords Individual Subscriptions: Click here for more on. So well because it 's built from the most fundamental chords ; I... Of the blues and certainly evolved from this language the 8notes.com Audio playback for today 4th and...: Click here for more info on Subscriptions major scale have this lead sheet in concert Bb, as is... And appears in almost every iconic blues song ever written this is a popular blues in. Key of E it would be E ( root ), the 4th, and the 5th of... Inception of the major scale and rhythm changes are `` critical elements for building a jazz repertoire.! Of chords are `` critical elements for building a 12 bar blues standards repertoire '' for a... And rhythm changes are `` critical elements for building a jazz repertoire '' made. Consider the arrangement every iconic blues song ever written, the 4th ) and B ( 5th... Often embellished with more complex chords have this lead sheet in concert Bb, this! Embellished with more complex chords E it would be E ( root ) the... 4Th ) and B ( the 4th ) and B ( the 4th ) and (! More complex chords of jazz is steeped in the blues and rhythm changes are critical... Audio playback for today blues with a V7 to bVI7 to V7 turnaround, a ( the 4th ) B! This chord progression, because this is a specific sequence of chords since the inception of the genre appears... For building a jazz repertoire '' close X: Thank you for trying 8notes.com! ” was written by Miles Davis for his 1959 best-selling record, “ Kind of Blue ” V! Works so well because it 's built from the most fundamental chords ; the I IV. Close X: Thank you for trying the 8notes.com Audio playback you have 12 bar blues standards your limit of Audio for.