The excess fat will be clear and look like oil, whereas the adobo sauce will be an opaque brown color. Add the garlic from the marinade and the onions, and cook, stirring, until the onions are translucent, 10 to 12 minutes. Taste test your adobo sauce throughout the braising process to check on the flavor progress. In a glass container with an airtight lid, add the pork belly and pour the marinade over the meat. You still get the tangy flavor, without the pungent strength of white vinegar, too. It’s pretty good. Preparation. Marinate in the refrigerator for 5 hours or overnight in an air tight container. Pour soy sauce and apple cider vinegar mixture. Pre-boil the eggs for 10 minutes, peel them, and add them into the sauce in the last 10 minutes. Gooey and sweet, caramel apples are scrumptious. I would say, this simple recipe I have is one of the most simpler one where pork belly is fried until light brown then lots of garlic is added plus the achuete powder which makes this dish looks more appetizing! Brown the chicken. This is done to render the excess geese from the pork belly. In a stoneware pot of the slow cooker, add marinated pork belly slices, remaining peppercorns and garlic. How to Cook Pork Adobo? Pork adobo is best eaten with fresh jasmine rice (garlic rice if you’re fancy) to balance out the strong flavor. In a large skillet with oil, slightly fry remaining garlic and set aside. I use a spoon to scoop up the excess oils. Add enough water so that it slightly covers the meat (about two to three cups) and bring to a boil. Then broil the meat until the skin looks crispy being careful not to burn it. Cut the pork belly into 1 to 2 inch pieces. My girlfriend’s mom likes to add hard boiled eggs and lots of onions to her pork adobo and it makes it feel like home every time we eat it. Remove the pork belly from the oven when it's done. This recipe is an ode to one of my favorite chefs Tita Grace. Mix twice at regular intervals to marinate thoroughly. Pour-in sauce into the pan. Add achuete powder and stir to combine. So grab that package of chicken and get ready to […], Sweet potatoes always seem to work their way into a holiday meal. The latter has a spicier flavor from the paprika, oregano, and other spices, while Filipino adobo is based on a vinegar and soy sauce marinade so it’s tangy and savory. To thicken the sauce, set the Instant Pot to sauté and allow it to cook down to the desired consistency. Pork adobo tastes tangy, savory, and slightly sweet. I found a 2 pound piece of pork belly in the freezer and decided to put together a recipe to cook it adobo style in the Instant Pot. Keep the marinating liquid to use for braising in the pot, this will give you all the tangy and savory flavors in your pork adobo. This goes well with a low carb “rice” or low carb buns. Pork Adobo is one of the most Filipinos favorite dishes. Adobo is supposed to have somewhat of a strong flavor because it’s meant to be eaten with rice. Wash pork belly slices with cold running water and pat dry with paper towel. It's packed with tangy, savory, and sweet flavors with super tender chunks of pork belly. Add garlic and cook until aromatic for about a minute. Some recipes do allow for white distilled vinegar, but I would recommend tasting your adobo sauce throughout the cooking process and adjusting with water and/or sugar if it comes out too pungent. Like my chicken adobo recipe, I am using cane sugar vinegar because it’s traditional and has a nice mellow and less acidic flavor than white distilled vinegar. Succulent, tender pork belly to fill your loved ones’ bellies year-round. - Richmond Flores, Food Stylist. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive our latest recipes and articles in your email. Pork Adobo with Oyster Sauce is your classic Filipino adobo made extra special! Add the pork and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight, covered (can be marinated in a resealable 1-gallon freezer bag). Give this adobo recipe a try. 3 pounds boneless pork belly, skinned and meat cut into 2-inch pieces (16 to 20 pieces). Enjoy this recipe from all of us at Filipino Chow. This Sprite pork adobo recipe by Master Panda on YouTube is simple and easy to follow along with the directions posted on … Set aside for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Using a 6quarts slow cooker, you will have two layers of pork belly. Your email address will not be published. In a mixing bowl, combine vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, onion, dark brown sugar, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Drain the pork in a colander over a bowl; reserve the marinade and garlic. The meat is marinated in a soy sauce and vinegar mix with plenty of garlic then slow cooked. Make sure to not overcook your meat or it will end up pulverized since pork belly has a lot of fat. She also made sure there would always be food waiting for us when we got home. Just A Pinch will NOT work unless you turn javascript ON in your browser. Remember that adobo is best served with rice to balance out the strong savory flavors, so keep in mind that the longer you cook and reduce the liquid the stronger the flavor will be. Reheat the abodo sauce you saved from earlier. Add back the pork, the strained marinade, 1 cup water and the bay leaves, and bring to a boil. (You can place it in the fridge for 40 minutes and place it on the counter the last 20 minutes to come to room temperature). Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. You can also use pork shoulder or pork butt as well. Adobo is often made with chicken, but we like to sub in pork belly to add decadence, and we use Joule to transform the meat into tender, piggy goodness. The term “adobo” comes from the Spanish word “adobar,” which means “marinade” or “pickle.” Pork adobo is a traditional tangy and savory dish from the Philippines that includes marinating and braising pork, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, and other ingredients. I share Vietnamese, Filipino, Chinese, and many other tasty recipes. A delicious balance of salty and savory, this hearty stew is Philippine’s national dish for good … Stir occasionally to keep the meat from sticking to pot. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until pork is fork-tender. All rights reserved. Copyright © 2011 - 2020 CASA BALUARTE. Your email address will not be published. Pork leg and pork chops can also work for this recipe. You can also use a strainer or spoon to skim the top if you have any extra fat or oil floating. Prepare your pork belly by cutting it into one inch cubes and patting each piece dry. Reserve marinade. Raise the heat back to medium-high and cook uncovered for another 20 minutes. Pour apple cider vinegar but do not stir. Filipino adobo is based on a combination of cane sugar vinegar, soy sauce, and other ingredients, whereas Spanish adobo has other spices like paprika and oregano. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the oil from the Dutch oven. The perfect family dinner, this is comfort food that everyone loves. Do this as you layer all the pork belly slices one after the other. I also like using left over pork adobo as pandesal sandwich spread. They’re so good […], There’s nothing like a big ol bowl of chicken and dumplings on a cool night. Set aside Brown the couple pieces of garlic mashed or minced. Some likes to marinate the meat first before cooking and others like to cook it with coconut milk. This melt-in-your-mouth recipe has a perfect balance of salty, sweet, vinegary goodness, and one of my favorite Filipino comfort dishes. I would definitely recommend marinating the pork belly for about an hour before cooking because it helps to tenderize and flavor the meat, especially if you choose to use pork shoulder or butt. In the same skillet, pan fry each pork belly in batches. One of our favorite things was this pork adobo. Required fields are marked *, 9  −   =  four .hide-if-no-js{display:none!important}. Watch closely: The sugar in the marinade will cause the pork to darken quickly if the pot is too hot-lower the heat if necessary to avoid burning. This is Crispy Pork Belly Adobo. Put all the ingredients in a pot with the belly meat side down (skin side up). Combine the soy sauce, garlic, sugar and peppercorns in a large bowl. Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. Remove the pork with a slotted spoon; set aside. « Roasted Brussels Sprout Soup with Bacon, Crock Pot White Turkey Chili without Beans ». Low Carb Pizza Casserole – Gluten Free & Keto, Keto Fries: Making Low Carb French Fries with Jicama, Keto Shortbread Cookies (Gluten-Free, Low-Carb), Keto Cloud Bread Recipe (Oopsie Bread Rolls), Chicken Green Bean Casserole (Gluten-Free, Keto), Keto Sweeteners & Low Carb Sugar Substitutes, How to Start a Low Carb Diet Plan Successfully, Best Keto Foods List For Burning Fat Efficiently, How to Cook Boneless Pork Ribs in the Oven Fast. I'm here to help, so leave a comment with any questions! Serve the crispy pork belly with white rice smothered with adobo sauce.