The verb in this sentence is “throws,” so the direct object must be “pillow.”. a direct object is required when the action is directed at someone else. WHOM does John love? “Some transitive phrasal verbs do not use their direct object when the direct object is implied in the meaning of the idiom. It can be: We DO NOT use direct objects with all verbs. You may also like science worksheets examples for students. (Her mom brought what? Jerry took his lunch box and bag out of his car. Craig watched the basketball game on the television. Bernice.) D.O. Spam, links to illegal websites, and inappropriate content won't be published. Let's look at a few examples to demonstrate the difference between direct objects and subject complements: I am an aspiring playwright. You may also like grammar worksheets. 50 Examples of Gerunds, Definition and Example Sentences, Examples of Gerunds, Gerund Phrases, Definition and Example Sentences, The Gerund, Detailed Expressions and Example Sentences, Opposite Of Democracy, Antonyms of Democracy, Meaning and Example Sentences, Opposite Of Sin, Antonyms of Sin, Meaning and Example Sentences, Synonyms Of Beautiful Girl, Beautiful Girl Synonyms Words List, Meaning and Example Sentences, Synonyms Of Provide, Provide Synonyms Words List, Meaning and Example Sentences, Forgive Past Simple, Simple Past Tense of Forgive Past Participle, V1 V2 V3 Form Of Forgive. John’s confession shattered Joan’s entire being. It usually precedes the direct object. the direct object who(m) is in first position. In this example, the action verb is “ate.”. Our family driver drove my brother and me to the school. - the rules, John loves Mary. is receiving or undergoing the action. Typically, in sentences that contain action verbs, they also feature objects of the verbs that gives the reader further information about the action verb through specifying and giving details about it, for example, by telling what received the action or to whom the action was performed. Then she opened the lid again, lifted the pig out, and held it against her cheek.” You may also check out writing worksheet examples.(E.B. Look at these examples: There is no direct object in the above sentences because linking verbs do not perform any action. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Will you please tell them to come in? Our grandparents gave us candy and our teeth are just fine. (George Orwell, “Politics and the English Language,” 1946), 7. We’ll put the direct objects in italics and the indirect objects in bold: Becky baked Bernice a plateful of cookies. You may also see time worksheets examples. The fans cheered their respective favorite actors during the show. Additionally, examples, discussion, notes, and worksheets with regard to direct objects can be found in the next section below. Here are a few. Our class president sent me an invitation letter. Chelsie played the lead guitar during their concert. . The normal order of an English sentence is subject-verb-object, (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); The gerund is a verb that acts like a noun in a sentence. Let's look at some more examples: Notice that in all the above cases the subject is "doing" the action, and the direct object (D.O.)