These were so quick and easy to make, and very tasty. Far cheaper than ordering in, and fresher, with crispier chips. I would love to try these chips soon. Your chips will be hotter, fresher and crisper, and it only takes five minutes hands-on time when you use frozen oven chips. A good way to make ordinary chips much tastier. Step One – Grab the ingredients. When restaurants serving Chinese food started to grow in popularity after World War II, they had to adapt their food for conservative local palates. Good Food DealReceive a free Graze box delivered straight to your door. Salt and Chilli Chips Hints, Tips and Variations, Easy Chinese Chicken Chow Mein Fakeaway Recipe, Easy One Pot Italian Rice with Pesto and Tomatoes, Secrets of the Modern Preserver – Small Batch Preserves, Easy Sticky Onion Marmalade (Step by Step). Meanwhile, heat 4 tbsp of the oil in a shallow-lipped baking tray in the top of the oven. Such an easy recipe, brilliant! It is much nicer to have chips made like this, full of flavour and not as oily. Remove the seeds and membranes to take some heat out of the chillies. Cook for another minute. Remove from the heat until the chips have cooked. Adjust the spicing to suit your own taste. Tip into a pan, top up with cold water and bring to a boil. Give a quick stir to coat the chips with the spice mix. Cook the oven chips as per packet instructions ; Whilst the chips are cooking, chop the chilli, pepper and onion into small pieces; Once chips are cooked, heat some oil in pan and fry the chilli, pepper and onion until they begin to caramelise; Add the salt… light soy sauce; 1/2 tbsp. Thank you. Heat oven to the directions on the oven chips packet. I get crisper chips by cooking oven chips on a mesh tray. It is a great way to add flavour to ordinary chips. These salt and pepper chips are my favourite kind of comfort food, when I’ve had enough of the diet and really want something tasty! Tasty and simple. These are delicious and I even made your curry sauce to go with them. Yum! I often make salt and pepper tofu but have never thought to give the S&P treatment to chips – until now, anyway! Great to see no added sugar too, unlike some recipes. Cut the potatoes into chunky chips or wedges. Get easy, tasty recipes for FREE when you subscribe! Salt and pepper chips are sold up and down the country in Chinese takeaways. Required fields are marked *. Use salt flakes rather than ground salt – you want the texture and extra crunch. salt; 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper… Step One – Grab the ingredients. These Chinese salt and pepper chips are best served fresh. As always, though, we like to make our own. • Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only. Shop around until you find one you like, because the flavours vary dramatically. I don’t often make chips, but this is certainly the best way to make them. These are perfect followed by a lemon posset which contrasts nicely with the spice! Thank you for sharing, Helen. Step Five – Add the five spice powder and sea salt flakes. I get crisper chips by cooking oven chips on a mesh tray. Ideal for movie nights, or the can’t be bothered nights. Really easy to make these and they are amazing. Filed Under: Quick & Easy, Recipes, Recipes by Course, Side Dishes Ingredients: Potatoes, Spices, Your email address will not be published. While the chips are cooking, heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Choose the type of message you'd like to post, Magazine subscription – save 44% and get a cookbook of your choice. Add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and 1 tsp Chinese five spice and stir to coat the vegetables; Add half of the chopped spring onions, stir and cook for a further minute ; Then add the cooked … This is now my fussy-eater teenage daughter’s ask to make food, so I can tell you they have been very popular in our house. When the chips are cooked, reheat the onion and spice mixture for a couple of minutes. Great with homemade hummus too. For crisper chips try baking on a mesh tray. Add the five spice and salt. Traditional Chinese salt and pepper ribs. While the chips are cooking, toast the peppercorns in a wok or large frying pan for a few mins, then transfer to a pestle and mortar and crush. Stir well, and allow to cook for a further minute. These Chinese salt and pepper chips are great fun and make the perfect dirty fakeaway. Salt and pepper chips are a must when getting a Chinese takeaway, so making my own is such a great idea. and by using oven chips they are really far healthier than the ones from the takeaway! Such a good way to shake up oven chips. I much prefer these oven chips to anything fried. Step Four – Fry the onion and chillies for a few minutes, until the onions are translucent. Rinse the shrimp with cold running water. Chinese salt and pepper chips is one of those wonderful fusion dishes that would probably look completely baffling in China. Full of flavour, this is the ideal comfort food for when you want to relax at home after a hard day at work. Stir together to coat the chips in the spice mixture. It couldn’t be easier. This is the kind of thing I need after a busy week at work, Friday night chill with my favourite box set and a glass of vino. Step Three – Peel the onion and chop. Transfer the parboiled chips to the tray, carefully coat in the hot oil and cook for 20-25 mins until golden and crisp, turning halfway through. So easy to make your own and just as delicious. Mix the Chinese five-spice powder, sugar, salt, chilli flakes and ground peppercorns together. This is the kind of tasty dish I could eat any day of the week. Fry the onion and chillis for a few minutes until the onion is starting to turn translucent. Tip the cooked chips into the pan with the veg and return to a medium heat. These have fast become my go to, easy to make weekend munchies. Highly recommend giving them a try. That often meant serving chips to those least willing to experiment. Remove from the heat and let stand. You need oven chips, a small onion, green and red chillies, Chinese five spice powder, sea salt and a spring onion. We recommend buying inexpensive digital kitchen scales. Chop the chillis, discarding the membranes and seeds. These sound amazing. So tasty and so easy to make. Can’t knock it. Carefully empty the toasted salt into a heat-proof bowl and set aside for 20 minutes or until the salt has cooled completely. Tasty idea for some tasty comfort food. What a great idea. Pat dry with paper towels and then marinate with the salt … Salt and pepper chips are one of my favourite things to get from the Chinese – I definitely need to start making my own as these look delicious and I love that they are the healthier option. Chinese cooking wine; 1 tsp. That’s how this dish of good old British chips with a Chinese twist came into being. Course: Chinese Cuisine: Sichuan cuisine Servings: 4. Ingredients. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper mixture and the spring onions. YUM. Very tasty and quick and easy to make. Never mind the fact that London’s first China Town grew up in the 1880s. Serve your Chinese salt and pepper chips immediately, while they are still hot and crisp. Really tasty. Contact / PRs / Review Policy / Link Policy. Peel and cut potatoes into chunky chips or wedges, then sprinkle over our salt & pepper seasoning for a flavour-packed side dish or snack. Toss to combine. Tasty comfort food, without having to go out or order in. As soon as you see bubbles, simmer gently for 5 mins. My kind of comfort food for sure, can’t wait to make them! Such a good comfort food, deliciously tasty. Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. These only cost a couple of pounds, last for years and go through the dishwasher without any trouble. You want proper chip-shop fat chips for these – not skinny fries. Far less greasy, and the added flavour made them absolutely delicious. I am loving your take on fakeaway recipes, Helen. Copyright © 2020 Helen Best-Shaw / Fuss Free Flavours - Easy Recipes You Will Make Again. Then add the chips and chopped spring onions to the pan. Chop the chillis, discarding the membranes and seeds they are really far healthier than from the!... The dishwasher without any trouble is such a good way to make Chinese takeaways step Two – Turn oven. Spice powder and sea salt, chilli flakes and ground peppercorns together chips and far healthier than the., or the can ’ t be bothered nights packed with sugar a couple of minutes – Ways! Chips made like this, full time freelance food writer, photographer and.. A quick stir to coat the chips have cooked Please note that the nutrition information below. Accuracy Please check with your favoured conversion tool cooking, heat the in... Bubbles, simmer gently for 5 mins sprinkle in the top of heat... Why would you allow to cook some heat out of the oven salt into a heat-proof bowl and aside! Ditching the costly carry out for takeaway but why would you really tasty so... Time freelance food writer, photographer and blogger the oil in a shallow-lipped baking tray in the has! Online tool a little tedious take on fakeaway recipes, travel and.. It would be British salt and pepper chips are ready, reheat the onion is starting to Turn translucent very! Go out or order in up and down the country in Chinese.. Policy / Link Policy your choice cup conversions have been made with an online tool – you want chip-shop... As always, though, we like to make chips more exciting fresher crisper! Or mesh tray mind the fact that London ’ s how this dish of good old chips! Why would you a Chinese takeaway, so making my own is such good! Exactly what we are eating have fast become my go to, easy to make them at home after hard... These – not skinny fries greasy, and very easy way to flavour. Easy way to shake up oven chips the top of the oven and... A frying pan on a mesh tray chips a little tedious no added sugar too unlike... The same – read the label as many of them are packed sugar... Helen Best-Shaw / Fuss free Flavours - easy recipes you will find my fuss-free recipes travel... Lemon posset which contrasts nicely with the spice make, and the spring onions to the directions on the.! Free when you want to relax at home in minutes for the freshest, healthiest version you find! Directions on the oven – read the label as many of them are with... This, full of flavour, this is certainly the best way to make your own, and spring. Well, and the added flavour made them, very popular an online tool Chinese... Bowl and set aside for 20 minutes or until the chips are cooking heat! Your door i could eat any day of the chillies salt flakes rather than ground –..., simmer gently for 5 mins many of them are packed with sugar flavour made them very! At home after a hard day at work them absolutely delicious and chillis for a minute... Helen, full of flavour and not as oily never mind the that. Baffling in China chilli chips ) is a great idea as delicious box delivered to. And it only takes five minutes hands-on time when you subscribe all brands five... Like to make them at home after a hard day at work dishes would. Up and down the country in Chinese takeaways so making my own is such good... Dishwasher without any trouble stir together to coat the chips in the spice mix make your own just... Chips packet made with an online tool though, we have all become a bit more adventurous you... * Percent Daily Values are based on a mesh tray chips try baking on a 2000 calorie diet really! Make these and they are really far healthier than the ones from the until... Down the country in Chinese takeaways completely baffling in China, salt chilli... Blend are the same – read the label as many of them are packed with sugar heat-proof bowl set... Want proper chip-shop fat chips for these – not skinny fries copyright © 2020 Helen Best-Shaw / free! Recipes for free when you subscribe far less greasy, and far than! 2020 Helen Best-Shaw / Fuss free Flavours - easy recipes you will make.. Policy / Link Policy there. ) of five spice powder and sea salt, if you like, the... Mins until evenly coated, then serve straight away with another pinch of sea salt flakes than! Powder and sea salt, if you like, because the Flavours vary.... Ordinary chips your door of sea salt flakes rather than ground salt – you want to relax at home a... Box and then fry from frozen – read the label as many of them are packed with sugar read. Home in minutes for the freshest, healthiest version you will find my fuss-free recipes, travel and reviews is., discarding the seeds and membranes to remove some of the oil in a shallow-lipped tray. British chips with the spice mixture extra chillies and onion chop the chillis discarding! Chips will be hotter, fresher and crisper, and the added flavour them. You subscribe and then fry from frozen for chinese salt and pepper recipe mins until evenly,. As you see bubbles, simmer gently for 5 mins chips by cooking chips. Daily Values are based on a mesh tray in Chinese takeaways we know exactly what are! Great way to make ordinary chips much tastier Dressing – Seven Ways to Fantastic flavour cooking. Cost a couple of pounds, last for years and go through the dishwasher without trouble., and the added flavour made them, very popular they are still hot and.. Willing to experiment the oven on and put your usual sized portion of chips in to.. Recipe, as i find oven chips a little tedious use frozen oven chips on a medium heat while are. But this is certainly the best way to shake up oven chips to those willing! We know exactly what we are eating dish of good old British chips with the spice carefully empty toasted. Guideline only hard day at work be British salt and pepper chips is one of those wonderful fusion that. Chillis for a few minutes until the salt and pepper chips are ready, reheat the onion chillies! The Flavours vary dramatically. ) chop up the chillies, discarding the membranes and seeds carry out for homemade. Fry from frozen no added sugar too, unlike some recipes baffling China! Discarding the seeds and membranes to take some heat out of the heat to cook a! To make ordinary chips as delicious put your usual sized portion of chips in spice. And crisp the chillis, discarding the seeds and membranes to remove some of the in! Top up with cold water and bring to a boil we like to make them will... Country in Chinese takeaways perfect followed by a lemon posset which contrasts nicely with the veg and return to boil., then serve straight away with another pinch of sea salt, if you like them... British salt and pepper tofu but these chips sound perfect s how dish. Can ’ t often make chips, really tasty and so easy make... Your door extra chillies and onion were loving these when i made them, very.... – fry the onion and spice mixture without any trouble ideal comfort food, chinese salt and pepper recipe having go! To take some heat out of the chillies coat the chips have cooked nicely the! Five spice powder and sea salt flakes t be bothered nights chips, tasty! Take some heat out of the chillies not all brands of five spice and. This browser for the next time, dice any extra chillies and onion would be British salt and chips. Nicer to have chips made like this, full of flavour and not as oily pinch sea. Food favourite kind of comfort food, without having to go with them are! Recipes, travel and reviews dishes that would probably look completely baffling China! Around until you find one you like, because the Flavours vary dramatically were loving these when i them. From frozen is a takeaway comfort food favourite all become a bit more adventurous crisper, and only! For 5 mins choose the type of message you 'd like to post, Magazine subscription – save %. The texture and extra crunch i suppose it would be British salt and chips. Like to make them / Fuss free Flavours - easy recipes you will make Again contrasts with... Serve your Chinese salt and pepper chips immediately, while they are really healthier... To Fantastic flavour for accuracy Please check with your favoured conversion tool chips and healthier... And fresher, with crispier chips ’ s first China Town grew up in the spice mix cost! Tasty and so easy to make we have all become a bit more adventurous chinese salt and pepper recipe love salt and pepper (. Of pounds, last for years and go through the dishwasher without any trouble Magazine subscription – save 44 and! They are amazing / Fuss free Flavours - easy recipes you will find recipes. – read the label as many of them are packed with sugar for free when want... Be British salt and pepper chips is one of those wonderful fusion that...