All steels even stainless will oxidise if left out in the air and in water, so always take that into consideration! M390 exhibits excellent edge retention, corrosion resistance, and high level toughness. We will then look at terms ‘jargon’ you’ll often see associated with steels. Therefore I’d like to share mine too, I find that the K30 is a great Steel for your knife, but it won’t my choice for “High-end” Steel if I was in a limited budget, I’d rather go for the S110V, S90V or S30V (And yes CPM SV series are taking over the knives market with their new technology). Therefore, you have to make a decision about which is most important to you, whether is corrosion resistance or edge retention. The metal is what cuts and slices, without it or without good quality your knife will quickly blunt and become unusable. The formation of corrosive sulfurous … The complete data sheet along with many other data sheets, charts, properties and heat treating procedures can be found in our new book. You’ll get the idea. Please phone before your visit, This is a very similar steel to both ATS-34 and 154CM. In this section, we’re going to compare our steel with other steels, and for this, I use four criteria; Edge Retention, Corrosion resistance, Ease of Sharpness, and Toughness, and I use a scale or note from 1 to 10. All of this results in a steel that has improved toughness, wear resistance and can be ground and heat treated with maximum effect. As an example the Fallkniven F1 is one of the most popular knives with a laminated blade. and other questions) So let’s dive in. Like ATS-34 this is a Japanese steel which has really started gaining popularity across the world. It’s distinctive and recognisable swirling marks rubbing through the metal. Due to it being a fine grain steel with small carbides, it will hold an edge pretty well. Unfortunately there is no magic steel that is amazing at all five. M390. The reason for this is that it increases the toughness of the blade and can increase strength by as much as 25%. For the price you get a whole lot of steel. eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'knifeuser_com-leader-2','ezslot_7',111,'0','0']));The answer in general is yes, Is a high-end tool steel that brings high hardness, wear resistance, edge retention and decent corrosion resistance, if you’re a knife user, you would know that’s perfect for every usage, but as I always say it’s not the best “Steel”, the best one depends on your usage, in all K390 Knives would be so great for hard cutting, and last edge situations, for example, while camping or hiking( K390 will hold its sharpness for long so you won’t have to worry). However, the downside is that the price is very, very steep. With the new changes coming to Simply Tool Steel, our newsletter is the easiest was to keep up-to-date. Those levels of hardness make for excellent edge retention but, as with the steel above re-sharpening these knives is not very easy! The PM process combined with the high chromium content imparts M390 / CPM 20CV with good grindability and excellent polishability. Benchmade have made a few good diving knives with this steel. so that we can arrange for your item This a very rare great knife, the Police Spyderco in K390, is a very tough, sharp knife, it comes with a Fully flat ground blade, I high wear resistance steel, with decent corrosion resistance, excellent edge retention, and great ergonomics. Essentially it creates a very stable and workable metal which make it much easier to tool. Probably one of the most popular knives with this steel is the Spyderco Bradley Folder. join our mailing list for a chance to win £150 Sign Up, Get the latest updates on new products and upcoming sales. Knives made from this type of steel are generally low priced, mass produced items. M390 is one of the new super steels on the block, manufactured by Bohler-Uddeholm (result of merger of Austrian Bohler and Swedish Uddeholm). Atlantic Trading Estate Fine grained alloy, popular choice for high end folders and small fixed blades. It essentially means that the harder the steel the less likely it is to deform/bend when stressed during use. It’s a low priced and mass produced item. As you can see the K390 chemical composition is a mixture of high Vanadium, Carbon, Molybdenum and Chromium, which offers high toughness and wear resistance. Unfortunately because of the way alloys work to have such good corrosion resistance you lose out on edge retention, however due to the inclusion of nitrogen in the make-up of H1 steel edge retention isn’t that poor. Get Up To 95% Off Today! High corrosion resistance Then we will look at some of the most popular and general types of blade steel, this will be followed with some comparison graphs to show the ratings of each steel. ELMAX. Featuring, excellent corrosion resistance and very high hardness for excellent wear resistance, Bohler-Uddeholm M390 is known to take a fine edge and hold it! M390 features very high wear and corrosion resistance. . The chart shows that M390 is capable of rather high hardness, particularly for its level of corrosion resistance. CPM stands for Crucible Particle Metallurgy which is a process for manufacturing high quality tool steels by Crucible Industries (American manufacturer). A STEEL FOR EXTREMELY HIGH REQUIREMENTS During both, the injection of purely abrasive acting PA66 with 30% glass fibres at 300 °C (570 °F) and the injection of abrasive and corrosive acting PES with 30% glass fibres at 400 °C (750 °F), BÖHLER M390 MICROCLEAN shows the best wear and corrosion resistance in comparison to 1.2379 This is a carbon steel with a high carbon % (0.95) but has a lower level of manganese. Although the S35VN is an improvement on this steel, take absolutely nothing away from the qualities that this steel possesses. If you don’t like the handle or the shape or any other part of the knife then blade steel becomes less of a big deal. Chemical Composition This is another steel from Sandvik, which was originally developed for razor blades. Therefore, this is very different to hardness, and in all likelihood (not always though) increased toughness means decreased hardness. It’s a very good steel and you can find some very nice knives with this steel at a reasonable price. Like 440C this is an extremely popular blade steel and for good reason. These five terms are the fundamental characteristics you will want to look for in your blade steel: Some people know this as blade strength but hardness is the primary term. Checkout Deals of the Day on Amazon, Best scout carry knife with horizontal Sheath. Many people see it as the Japanese version on 154CM (which is American) and in general represents a high quality steel which has become very popular with knife makers.