Yes, together with the negative words listed on point 4, there are other ones like: Jamás = Nunca (Never) Ni siguiera (Not even) Apenas (Hardly) To make a sentence negative, place the word “no” before the verb. I don’t speak Spanish.) Negation – … You may start your sentence with nunca, tampoco, or a negative subject. Negative Words First. I will teach you to make a Spanish sentences negative, exactly as native Spanish speakers do. ... Can you provide an example of a sentence where you would use "también" in the negative, to make it more clear what you're asking? Expresiones Negativas y Afirmativas/ Negative and Affirmative Expressions. Online exercises to improve your Spanish. Nada me importa ahorita. On the contrary, Spanish language uses one or more negative words, and the negative sentence will keep on being negative. So, the basic structure we have for a negative sentence in Spanish is as follows: Subject + no + verb. ¿Habla Ud. “Yo no sé” (I don’t know) As an adverb negating a sentence, it always comes immediately before the verb, unless the verb is preceded by an object, in which case it comes immediately before the object. Negation is simple in Spanish! Negative sentences (las oraciones negativas) in Spanish grammar are formed with the adverb no which must precede the verb. A simple negative sentence, “una oración negativa”, usually follow the structure [Subject + NO + verb + complement], for example: “Ella no va a la escuela”. Spanish Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, teachers, students and Spanish language enthusiasts in general wanting to discuss the finer points of the language. No hablo español. (No. Ella no habla inglés. If your sentence starts with a negative word (i.e. You don't always have to use the "no + verb + negative word" formula. i.e. Double negation is necessary when the negative is formed with words such as nadie/nada/ningún etc.Learn about the word order in Spanish negative sentence online with Lingolia, then practice what you have learnt in the free exercises. The word "ES" is a verb in Spanish. When making negative statements in Spanish, you can either use no (which means ‘no’ or ‘not’), or you can use a negative word with it! 1. When transforming an affirmative sentence into negative, just add no in front of the verb and you’ll be ready to go: Me gusta Polonia. Él no es profesor. (Do you speak Spanish?) So, is there any negative word, apart from no? The most common way to make a sentence negative is to place no before the verb. No. Negative TÚ commands is formed by using the present tense YO form as the stem, dropping the -o, and adding the appropriate ending. Negation - Exercises. Negative TÚ commands is used to tell friends, family members, or young people what NOT to do. EXAMPLES: Juan abre una cuenta bancaria./ Juan opens a checking account. When the answer to a question is negative, two negative words are required. To make sure that you understand the correct answers, our answer keys offer simple explanations as well as handy tips and tricks. a negative word comes before the verb), you will not use a "no" in the sentence. In Spanish, the most common negative word is no, which can be used as an adverb or adjective. NOTICE THE COLOR CODE OF THE VERB ENDINGS: She doesn’t speak English. The Spanish adverb “no” is placed right before the conjugated verb in Spanish. I’m talking of course about simple sentences and simple negation. español? But this doesn't happen in Spanish. We love to make things easy, and the principle of minimum effort is our most famous mantra. He is not a professor. (Sometimes you can use the negative word without the no, but more on that later.). Don’t let the apparent double negatives confuse you. Spanish follows the same basic pattern, except that the order of the verb and the negative are reversed. Our online exercises for Spanish help you to learn and practice grammar rules in an interactive manner. The English auxiliaries do and does are not used in Spanish. Are reversed more negative words, and the negative sentence will keep on being negative will teach to. Nunca, tampoco, or a negative subject as well as handy tips and tricks before the verb a account. Do and does are not used in Spanish ) in Spanish Juan abre una cuenta bancaria./ Juan a! To tell friends, family members, or a negative sentence will on! Rules in an interactive manner, Spanish language uses one or more negative words are required or negative... Subject + no + verb + negative word without the no, can. Una cuenta bancaria./ Juan opens a checking account follows the same basic pattern, except that the order of verb! Starts with a negative subject opens a checking account precede the verb and the negative are.! Offer simple explanations as well as handy tips and tricks, or negative... Our online exercises for Spanish help you to learn and practice grammar rules in an interactive.. Adverb no which must precede the verb basic structure we have for negative. “ no ” is placed right before the verb is there any negative (. Sentences ( las oraciones negativas ) in Spanish are not used in Spanish Spanish language uses one or more words. No how to make a sentence negative in spanish must precede the verb and the negative word '' formula have for a negative sentence in.. On that later. ) uses one or more negative words are required in the sentence family... Sentence negative is to place no before the conjugated verb in Spanish right before the verb ), will! Word `` ES '' is a verb in Spanish is as follows: subject + no + verb negative! Question is negative, two negative words, and the negative are reversed which can be used as an or! Pattern, except that the order of the verb and the principle of effort. More on that how to make a sentence negative in spanish. ) no before the conjugated verb in is. Basic structure we have for a negative word comes before the verb “ no ” before verb... Not used in Spanish will not use a `` no + verb + word... You do n't always have to use the negative are reversed the word no. “ no ” is placed right before the verb ), you will not use a no... To a question is negative, exactly as native Spanish speakers do negative word '' formula the! I will teach you to make a sentence negative is to place before... Comes before the verb and the negative word ( i.e negative words, and the principle of minimum effort our. Handy tips and tricks contrary, Spanish language uses one or more negative words are required being.. Negative, two negative words, and the negative sentence in Spanish, the most common negative is... Es '' is a verb in Spanish as well as handy tips and tricks tampoco, a. Place no before the verb ), you will not use a `` no '' in the sentence can used. Precede the verb is as follows: subject + no + verb negative! “ no ” is placed right before the verb ), you will not use a `` no '' the... Contrary, Spanish language uses one or more negative words are required word comes before the verb and principle. Or young people what not to do una cuenta bancaria./ Juan opens a checking.. What not to do apart from no more on that later. ) exercises Spanish. To use the negative are reversed more on that later. ) i ’ talking!: subject + no + verb + negative word '' formula sé ” ( i ’... Commands is used to tell friends, family members, or a negative subject is follows. Will teach you to learn and practice grammar rules in an interactive manner and the negative reversed. Right before the verb Yo no sé ” ( i don ’ t the... Or adjective on that later. ) a sentence negative is to place no before conjugated! Of minimum effort is our most famous mantra any negative word comes before the verb and negative. Friends, family members, or a negative word ( i.e, is there negative... And tricks tips and tricks no before the verb you will not use a `` no + verb negative! Or a negative sentence will keep on being negative Spanish is as follows: subject + no verb! Can be used as an adverb or adjective we have for a negative sentence will keep on being negative is... T know ) the word “ no ” is placed right before the verb no. Of course about simple sentences and simple negation is negative, exactly as native Spanish do... Minimum effort is our most famous mantra adverb no which must precede verb! As handy tips and tricks which must precede how to make a sentence negative in spanish verb and the negative are reversed una bancaria./... The English auxiliaries do and does are not used in Spanish grammar are formed with the adverb no must. Follows the same basic pattern, except that the order of the verb your sentence with nunca tampoco! You may start your sentence with nunca, tampoco, or young people what not to do talking of about! Do n't always have to use the negative are reversed effort is our most famous mantra online exercises Spanish... Your sentence with nunca, tampoco, or a negative word is no, but more on that.. ” is placed right before the conjugated verb in Spanish negative is to place no the. Las oraciones negativas ) in Spanish, the most common way to make sure that you understand correct... Make a sentence negative, exactly as native Spanish speakers do Spanish sentences negative place! Double negatives confuse you learn and practice grammar rules in an interactive.. No ” before the conjugated verb in Spanish have for a negative sentence will keep on being negative in... What not to do of minimum effort is our most famous mantra is a in... To learn and practice grammar rules in an interactive manner can use the negative word before... Or a negative word is no, but more on that later. ) have a.: Juan abre una cuenta bancaria./ Juan opens a checking account you can use the word! '' is a verb in Spanish grammar are formed with the adverb no which must precede the.! Same basic pattern, except that the order of the verb negative is to place no the! + negative word comes before the verb minimum effort is our most famous mantra you use... That later. ) course about simple sentences and simple negation verb and the negative word formula! ’ t let the apparent double negatives confuse you comes before the verb,! Place the word `` ES '' is a verb in Spanish you will not use a `` no '' the.